Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 27 - Give up an unhealthy habit

We all have unhealthy habits that we aren't proud of. Some of us bite our nails; stay up too late; smoke; eat junk food; have too much caffeine intakes; forget to floss; don't exercise etc.. The first step in getting rid of habits like this is identifying they are no longer random actions and have become habits.

It has been said that it takes 21 days to create and/or change a habit; the "21 day habit theory". Day 27's challenge is to pick an unhealthy habit of yours and start to change it. Will this be easy? Of course not.

I will give you a simple example though. I live in a residence and thus share a bathroom. In our bathroom we have a paper towel dispenser. To cut down on wasted paper, I stopped using the dispenser and would rather go to my room and dry my hands with my towel. It took a while for me to get used to this changed habit and I made mistakes along the way; sometimes I would push the handle, dry my hands and only then realize I had forgotten my new method of drying.

Habits are not easy to break because they are habits - you don't always have to think about doing them, you just do them. But this challenge is about being conscious of those actions and trying to change the ones that are harming yourself or the people and planet around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment