Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 5 - Meet someone new

I am going to go against everything you were taught as a child for today's challenge, and for that, I apologize. But in my defence, I do believe it is for your own good. Day 5's challenge is to talk to a stranger. (Note: You are still not allowed to take candy from a stranger)

There are a lot of fascinating people out there, but if you don't step outside of your box you will never meet them.

Why would I ask you to do this? Because I feel that too often we are trapped in our own lives, with the same people and we don't branch out and challenge ourselves to break our usual habits.

I will warn you, this challenge could get awkward, but that's okay. Not everyone will enjoy someone talking to them, but please don't let this discourage you. Just try and start up a conversation with a new person. Trust me, it will be worth it.

Let me give you a real life example. I was sitting in the waiting room of the international students office with a gentleman sitting across from me. I asked him if he was an international student and he said yes. We started talking about his decision to come to Canada and about his transition to the North American culture. Near the end of the conversation he told me that I was the first stranger to start up a conversation with him since he had come to Canada, 3 months previous.

"Strangers are friends you have yet to meet", so get out there today and start meeting them!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My recommendation is to sit down with someone face to face and have a 15 minute conversation on your lifes, passion, successes, etc. Someone you don't normally see as often as you like.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete