Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 15 - Be the change

We all admire things about other people. We admire their strength, self-sacrifice, confidence, intuition, courage, attitude, and the list goes on. We admire the person they are and the decisions they make. Some people wish they could live the life of someone else; I think that is one of the most ridiculous statements. Never wish you were someone else; rather take action to reflect the qualities that you admire about them, and create a better life for yourself.

"I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul."
- William Ernest Henley

Today's challenge is about becoming the better person that you want to be. Stop saying I wish I could stop smoking, and muster up the courage to do so. Stop saying I wish I had more meaningful time with my family and friends, and do it by setting aside that time. Stop saying I feel bad about my lifestyle compared to the billions around the world who live in poverty, and take action! Today is about reflecting on the person you would like to be, and becoming that person.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I've been thinking a lot recently about "being the change", and it really keeps one honest -- whenever I start thinking, "It would be really great if such and such were true...", I have to ask myself, "OK, great, so what are *you* doing to make that a reality?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, and I know that's a huge challenge brother. It's easy to recognize where change is needed, but so difficult to be the one to change it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all have a pretty solid idea of who we want to be or at least who we don't want to be. However, we quickly forget that it is up to us to make that a reality. We can do it, we just have to dedicate ourselves to it, and I think, sadly, we let other things in our lives take precedence or even the blame for keeping us from becoming that person. This is a fantastic reminder to take control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this quote years ago, and your response reminded me of it:

    "Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe."

    It is about taking control, as you mentioned, and also about believing in yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete