Sunday, January 29, 2012

The little things you miss...

Just under one month. Long enough to understand what life will be like here. Every once and a while I am surprised again by something new, but basically I know now what to expect.

I was reflecting today on some small things that I miss about life back in Canada. With that, I also thought of some things I was content with being rid of.

The little things...
The first thing I miss is not little at all, in fact it is the biggest part of my life. Leaving family and friends behind is never a pleasant decision, but I needed to do just that in order to find this experience. I have a  family here, but I of course think of those back home, and I miss them.

I never knew of my addiction to internet, but a reliable and fast connection is something I need my fix of from time to time. I like the fact that I have reduced the things I do online to some basics (e-mail, banking, facebook and this blog), because it leaves more time for other things (catching chickens, for example). But it would be nice to do my online banking in less than 30 minutes.

Warm showers. Who knew that showers would be so cold when the temperature outside is peaking over 30 degrees Celsius? I look forward to a heated shower upon my return in April.

The other things...
Because it is the African Cup of Nations soccer tournament, I have watched a few games on the television. Other than that, it has been untouched. It is something I have found easy to live without.

In Yako, I can walk wherever I need to go. I don't miss the dependency to cars and busses I have in Canada. My legs and my bike (which I am actually borrowing from my roommate Liz - thanks Liz ;) work just fine.

The Burkinabé in Yako do not exude stress, and that it something I can live with. People are often 'go-go-go' back in Canada, but it's nice to be in a more relaxed atmosphere. Things still get done here, just at a more human pace.

I should apologize for the lack of pictures. I am not very good at remembering my camera, and even if I do, I prefer to experience the moment than capture it. I will try to have some for next week though. I know that pictures will help paint a fuller picture of the story I am trying to tell.

2 comments:

  1. Yo Kevin,
    I know what you mean about TV, I find I don't miss it too much. And the photos thing too...although I've gotten better at this over the last few months.
    Enjoy your next two months and a bit. I'm sure they'll fly by pretty quick.
    Pedro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right, well I didn't know where to comment on the overall blog, so here it is - I am thoroughly enjoying your blog sir. Especially the Why should You care page! Excited to have you back in a few months to hear more of your stories and such. Be safe, smart and make good choices :)

    ReplyDelete