Sunday, February 5, 2012

Nasarra





Photo credit goes to Marie for the pictures this week.
I have never noticed race as much as I have here. Perhaps a better way of putting it: I have never felt so white. And along with my whitewashed complexion comes a type of celebrity status here. In Yako, if you are white it's a dead give-a-way that you don't originate from here, thus people notice you, talk to you, children want to grab a second of your attention; all because of the pigmentation.
Some benefits of the celebrity status:

I get lots of greetings everyday. While biking or walking the streets, if I make eye contact with anyone, they are likely looking right back at me, so I will say: "Bonjour" or "Bonsoir" and reciprocally I will receive the same. I am working on my salutations in the local language. I know what they are, but I always get a laugh when I try and pronounce them.




The children in Yako are always very excited to see a nasarra (which means 'white' in the local language of Mooré; or sometimes I am called le blanc in french). Some kids will only ask for candy, but others will give me a beaming smile, say "hi" and be content with a shake of my hand. The kids in the courtyard are also very amazed by the feel of my hair since it's much different then theirs.


Some downfalls to being the white man:
The sun is out to get me. Thank-you SPF 50 for saving me thus far.  

I lost my birth name (sorry mom and dad). I liked Kevin, it was a solid name, but in the streets: Je m'appelle Nasarra.

Going to the market is not always the most fun experience. Because I am white, the vendors will sometimes yell out "Nasarra!" to grab my attention. Not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that I'm not a fan of 'pressure-shopping'.

White - Nasarra - Le Blanc. They are just words. I know that here I am easily noticed, but once people get to know me and what I am doing, I reclaim my birth name and become just another person in their life. The racial difference dissipates quickly. This isn't meant to be a profound reflection on racial difference, it's just hard to deny the fact that I am one of only a handful of white people in Yako, and that makes life a little different for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment