Friday, January 6, 2012

We ask that you please fasten your seatbelts at this time and secure all baggage underneath your seat or in the overhead compartments for take-off...

Departure day is here.

1st flight (Toronto - Brussels): 7h20m
+
3h40m layover
+
2nd flight (Brussels - Ouagadougou): 6h
= 15h20m of flying + 3h40m of waiting + 5h are lost due to time zone changes                            
24 hours stands between me and this new life. 

I unthinkingly booked a flight that leaves at 18h25, meaning I have all day to get excited and anticipate the rush of take off. The rush and the fear. I detest flying. Every bump, every turn, every second in that pressurized tube makes my heart skip a beat. I am counting on those in-cabin movies to distract me.

I will be meeting my friend Eric at the Airport in Ouagadougou at 16h25 tomorrow.  We will either stay in the capital for the night, or grab a bus back to Yako. From there... je n'ai aucune idée. It will only feel like 11h25 my current time when I arrive - I will let you know how the jet leg goes.

As the sun sets on this chapter of my life, I am comforted by the thought of my time spent with family and friends these past 4 months. I am also comforted knowing I will be returning to this life in 4 months to see you all again.

That's all for now. See you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment