Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Essentials

Packing 1 suitcase for 4 months is a task that I am unqualified to do. Luckily, I have a little experience in doing things I'm not qualified to do: cooking comes to mind. I continue anyway, blindly, packing what I think is essential to keep me going for 4 months.

6 t-shirts, 1 long-sleeve shirt, 1 sweater, 6 work shirts, 4 pairs of pants, 4 pairs of shorts, 1 or 2 belts (haven't decided yet), 6 pairs of underwear, 4 work socks, 5 regular socks - too much clothing or not enough? 1 camera, 1 iPod, some headphones, 1 journal, 1 flashlight + 1 reading light, 1 microphone with stand, 1 pair of sunglasses, 3 pens, 3 pencils, 1 textbook (I will be taking an online course while abroad), my laptop, the normal toiletries and enough drugs to keep me medicated for a lifetime - malaria pills, diarrhea pills and electrolyte tablets (for when I get the inevitable runny stool), Gravol, Imodium, daily vitamins plus SPF 50 sunscreen and bug spray. I am currently in the market for a mosquito net - turns out they are not a hot commodity at this time of year in Canada.

One thing I also found while packing up my closet was a box of keepsakes I had from high school. Until very late last night, I was going through old letters and pictures, reminiscing about old friends, reading cards from past birthdays and my graduation, and remembering the person I was only 3 years ago. It felt strange. Happiness overwhelmed me as I went through these nostalgic items, but sadness also chimed in to remind me that these are moments that I can't relive. That's life though, gotta live up the moments we have today because eventually they may be sitting in a lonely box in the back of your closet. Life moves in but one direction.

The current temperature in Strathroy, Ontario, Canada: 0°C
The current temperature in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso: 23°C

I can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE going through my memory box - always puts a smile to my face. :)
    I am SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! I can't help much with packing - I've been known to ALWAYS overpack, but I think in your case, overpacking is better than underpacking. (Don't forget your chargers for your electronics - that's about all the advice I got).
    Looking forward to reading more about your adventure in Burkina Faso! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a challenge!
    Your bed already has a mosquito net, and I have an extra one too in case :)
    Also, for clothing, you can get anything made here if you want so I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I might add a bathing suit in case.
    See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete