Thursday, March 1, 2012

Le Paludisme


Yesterday
It hit me like a sack of potatoes. Today was, by far, the most uncomfortable day in my memory. Waves of body aches rushed over me as my core temperature climbed to what I’m sure was a new personal record. Every action, every movement, made me feel weak. Nausea made sure that any consumption of food was unpleasant. The lower back pain made almost every position uncomfortable, thus making it impossible to nap despite my exhaustion. The local hospital is open for consultations every morning at 7am. You best believe I will be there tomorrow. 
Today
To my pleasant surprise, I got some sleep last night. I woke up multiple times within my 5 hours of rest, but nonetheless I found pockets of tranquility as I cruised off to dream land. When I rolled over to see the clock at 5am, I doubted for a second that I was alive. Seems silly (or irrational perhaps), but when you go from what I was feeling yesterday, to only minor discomfort (the fever had passed), it makes you stop and think. Since the nausea was gone, I didn’t care what time it was, I jumped on the occasion to eat. Although it was still a struggle because my appetite was no where to be found, I was able to eat a loaf of local bread with some coke. I went back to bed to rest for another hour before I went to the hospital.

Ousmane, the gentleman that lives in our courtyard, has a motorbike and took me this morning. The wait wasn’t too long and the process was easy enough: Step 1: register; Step 2: give your blood sample; Step 3: pay; and, Step 4: get the results four hours later. 

At 11:50am this morning, test results came back positive for malaria. 
This is not an experience I wish upon anyone, but unfortunately I don’t have much power over that. While lying in bed yesterday, in the midst of my fever, I couldn’t help but think of those suffering along side me. Those experiencing the same overpowering discomfort. Those who perhaps can’t afford the medication to get better, like I can.

I payed 500 CFA ($1.02 CAD) for the malaria test, then 3900 CFA ($7.94 CAD) for the medication. Doesn’t seem like a whole lot in order to kill this malicious parasite, but some people still can’t afford it.

I must admit, before I got it, I had not thought a lot about malaria. I take the anti-malarial medication every morning and I sleep under a mosquito net every night, but even these things have become nothing more than habit. I forgot about the real risk it poses.

I have not had a fever since last night, so I am feeling much better today. The medication takes three days to kill the parasite. I will be fine. I pray those other folks suffering, will be fine as well.

Tomorrow
It seems so useless that something like malaria kills. Obviously it is a complex parasite, and various strands brings about various levels of severity, but for the strands that can be treated, the medication should be available to everyone. That fever was horrible, but it would have been worse knowing I didn’t have the means to take care of the illness. I am not really sure what International Development entails completely, but it seems obvious that making sure people don’t die of things like malaria should be a part of it. 

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh I would like to make it better. Please take the time to get well. I hope the diet options are a bit more varied with some vegetable options too?

    Thinking about you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, I hope you recover fast and well.
    Cam (Mr.) Hagle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck over there Kevin! I hope you get well soon.

    Katie Tucker-Deluce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin - I hope and pray that this is your last experience with this type of illness and pain and that you recover quickly from this round. Thank you for offering perspective into how truly blessed and lucky we are! Thinking of you and sending HCC love and support!

    ReplyDelete